Discovering the Camino de Santiago
Roman Catholic Books
A month of walking through Spain?
But no ordinary month - this was the fabled pilgrimage to the Tomb of St. James
If Fr. Gregory Markey can do it, well, you can too. At least from your armchair.
For the first time for English-speaking readers, a priest-pastor chronicles the month-long life and times of a pilgrim, in a delightful yet sober account, as he endures, and enjoys, the much-celebrated Camino de Santiago. This peaceful journey—Web-free, phone-free, and TV-free—generated an astonishing array of brief but meaty spiritual reflections. Roman Catholic Books asked Fr. Markey to put the writings into this book.
Fr. Markey did not conceal his priesthood, choosing on the contrary to wear the traditional Roman collar. And, unsurprisingly, the resulting conversation with pilgrims was serious… reflective… practical. But there was also plenty of private time along the 500-mile trail for Fr. Markey, a 41-year-old pastor of St. Mary's in Norwalk, Connecticut.
Mission: successful, but not without incident, and not without fruitful discussion with a wide variety of Christians struggling or lost in personal crises…reflecting upon great personal loss… re-discovering Christ as the Focus of their lives.
Throughout his long journey—and thus in this book—Fr. Markey, displaying both a keen mind and a pastoral heart, found spiritual lessons for himself and his flock, to whom he wrote. A sample of his insights and guidance:
- Dealing with discomfort, with Scripture always in mind
- Balancing human concerns when suffering with God's purpose for you
- The requirements of a pilgrimage, and how they bring out the best in people
- Practical concerns, for those pondering long pilgrimages How to fit a prayer life perfectly into a pilgrimage
- What not to bring, in your mind and in your backpack
- The magnetic pull of Mass, even on such a trip
- How to acquire genuine perspective and distinguish its counterfeit
- The heart of a pastor of souls
Foreword by Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades of Fort Wayne/South Bend, Indiana
Hand-sized,quality/illustrated color softcover